Holy Savior Menard has been accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools since 1985. The school was recognized during the 2009-2010 school year for maintaining SACS accreditation for the past 25 years.
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI) was founded in 1895. Combined with the North Central Association, the organization accredits public and private schools and districts in 30 states under the parent organization of AdvancEd. AdvancEd has defined research-based accreditation standards that cross state, regional, and national boundaries. Accompanying these standards is a unified accreditation process designed to help schools continuously improve.
In order to maintain accreditation from SACS CASI, schools must:
1. Meet the AdvancEd Standards and Policies for Quality Schools,
2. Engage in continuous improvement, and
3. Demonstrate quality assurance through internal and external review.
A quality assurance review occurs every 5 years.
In March 2010, Holy Savior Menard participated in its Quality Assurance Review to maintain accreditation status. To prepare for the Quality Assurance Review, the school community engaged in an in-depth self assessment of each of the seven AdvancED standards, evaluating how the school’s operating systems contribute to student performance and school effectiveness. The Quality Assurance Review Team, composed of educators throughout the state, then visited the school and used the findings from the onsite visit to make an accreditation recommendation.
Through its examination of the school’s adherence to the standards, the Quality Assurance Review Team commended the school for the following strengths:
• The school curriculum teaches the value of unselfish service to mankind.
• All stakeholders of the school strive to improve the curriculum, physical plant, and athletic facilities.
• The school maintains successful stakeholder relationships.
• The school has a strong student support system in place.
• The faculty uses standardized test results, RenWeb, and departmental meetings to evaluate student performance and school effectiveness.
• Faculty members promote active learning and active teaching, assuming the roles of facilitators instead of disseminators.
• The school provides a challenging, college preparatory curriculum that meets the needs, abilities, and interests of each student.
• Students are offered a wide variety of academic and extracurricular opportunities in which to take a leadership role.
• Clear and concise procedures are in place to ensure effective student learning in a safe environment.
• Faculty and staff value student input.
In addition to the commendations, the Quality Assurance Review Team identified the following required actions that Holy Savior Menard will focus on addressing in the school’s improvement plan for the upcoming years:
• Improve math procedures and problem solving skills for standardized testing.
• Develop a plan to address the need for more technology support, personnel, and funding for maintaining and updating equipment and purchasing related supplies.
• Increase teacher participation in professional development opportunities.
The team reviewed the school’s adherence to each of the AdvancED standards:
Standard 1 – Vision and Purpose
Standard 2 – Governance and Leadership
Standard 3 – Teaching and Learning
Standard 4 – Documenting and Using Results
Standard 5 – Resource and Support Systems
Standard 6 – Stakeholder Communications and Relationships
Standard 7 – Commitment to Continuous Improvement
For all seven standards, the findings of the Quality Assurance Review Team were as follows:
Holy Savior Menard Central High School has earned the overall assessment level of “Highly Functional” and has met this standard for accreditation.
The school celebrates its re-accreditation and continues to provide a quality education for every student, while remaining committed to the ongoing process of continuous improvement.
To view a copy of the full report, you can visit www.advanc-ed.org.